7.4.11

A-Z Blog Challenge part E

E
Is for....

Embroidery
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Embroidery is the art or handicraft of decorating fabric or other materials with needle and thread or yarn. Embroidery may also incorporate other materials such as metal strips, pearls, beads, quills, and sequins.

A characteristic of embroidery is that the basic techniques or stitches of the earliest work—chain stitch, buttonhole or blanket stitch, running stitch, satin stitch, cross stitch—remain the fundamental techniques of hand embroidery today.

My eairlest childhood memory is that of me sitting watching my grandma and my mother embroiering for hours on end.

I rarely embroider myself as I have a very short attention span and dont like sitting still for hours on end, but it's a custom that the children in our family when they are small have a hand embroidered cushion made for them to keep on there beds, the last one my mum made was for my youngest daughter who is soon to be three but shortly after that she gave sewing up due to poor eye sight so my baby niece did not get one so I'm making her one.
This is it so far....


I'm hopeing to get it finished for her 2nd birthday which is not until November so I have loads of time to finish it!

E is also for ETSY! So what have they got over there....


Enjoy your day 

xxx

Easter, emboridary, eggs....



6 comments:

  1. Cute, you do a beautiful job! I am not so patient and my work was never so nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Nice to meet you through the A-Z challenge :) I liked embroidery when I was in high school my Mom taught me :) But I was getting very irritated then, now maybe I'll give it a try again :)

    Thank you for your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pieces! I've done crochet and cross stitch, as well as quilt making and country rabbit making (dresses and all!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7/4/11

    Gorgeous site. So glad to have met you through the A-Z Challenge. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love embroidery, but it's becoming a lost art. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to come across your blog. My mum loves all things embroidery!

    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts