18.5.13

Focusing on life - look up

For this weeks Focus on Life photo the fantastic Sally asked us to change our perspective and look up. Now this prompt could not be more me, I'm that person that walks 'splat' into huge glass doors in front of everyone, trips up curbs, and very often walks into strangers on the street because I'm too busy looking at other stuffs to see where I'm going. 
Not to mention that at almost 5 ft small, every thing is above my eye level (I have been known to climb on shelves in the supermarket to be able to reach things on the top shelf and one of the reasons I like taking the kids shopping is that the older two are now both much taller and make climbing unnecessary, you get some very odd looks if you climb in supermarkets)!!!
These photos (I could not choose just one) were taken on our latest trip to London last weekend at the Natural History Museum, before I even knew what the topic would be this week....



The building was just as amazing as the things it housed


I loved the monkeys climbing up the walls


every where you looked there was some thing to see


Hows that for a door frame and heres another....


All so beautiful


And from a room called 'The Vault' (with a name like that you just know its going to be good), a couple of pics I just had to show my fellow magpies....

The Aurora Pyramid of Hope


The note read....
"This stunning array of 296 naturally coloured diamonds has taken more then 25 years to collect. It shows the full range of colours in which diamonds can be found. 
Under ultraviolet light you can see another, hidden quality. The diamonds glow, showing colours quiet different from the ones you see in normal light.
For the owners, the collection represents the natural beauty of the Earth. It is named after the aurora borealis, the dramatic coloured light displays that sometime illuminate the sky in the northern hemisphere. Aurora was also the Roman goddess of dawn, symbolising hope for a new beginning.
The owners want the collection to be looked at as a work of art, inspiring you to value beauty and to protect our shared natural heritage for the future."

Now while I am very inspired by this piece the OCD part of me wanted to rearrange it into the colours of the rainbow which leads to my next pic....


Opals, such beautiful opals. I wish I had more beautiful pics to show you of the stunning treasures they had but it seems that when it comes to rocks, crystals and even diamonds with small children once they have seen one they have seen them all, even more so when you are in a building that contains huge dinosaurs!!!!

Have a great day x


18 comments:

  1. oh isn't that the truth! I could spend hours, and hours in a place like this! but the kids would have otherwise! I love the architecture here .. those arches are stunning! but WOW those diamonds in the color of the rainbow ... stunning! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very long post yer know :-) But so pleased because I love Gothic stuff too :-) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Amazing pics. You sure captured the looking up prompt well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a hoot girl! I felt like I was reading a post about myself w/the short thing (I'm all of 5' on a really good day!), climbing on shelves at the store and the OCD of re-arranging the diamonds!! LOL!! Man, your shots of the Museum of Natural History - wow! Just Wow!! And the diamonds and opals you captured while there,...super!! Thanks for those extras!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous18/5/13

    Fabulous post!! I wish I was there with you looking up at all that glorious building art! VERY interesting diamond display. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am short also so could relate to climbing on store shelves. Love your architectural shots of the Natural History Museum, what a London treasure. The arches are inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  7. truly gorgeous photos - esp. the close-up of the monkeys!!
    stunning!
    have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fantastic trip. Great photos, I really love the first one with the arches and the sun streaming through the windows. I love it when the prompt matches what you are doing for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely beautiful! The building is gorgeous - but the 'Aurora' collection is breathtaking. I can't imagine how it must look in real life! Sounds like everyone had such a lovely trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful building indeed! Those monkeys - who would've thought to do that?! I want some going up the corner of my living room. How fun! The diamonds... oh my! You got all of our attention on those babies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many gorgeous pictures I can't even begin to say which is my favorite! WOW - what a place to visit. Must have been amazing to see the aurora diamonds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could stare at opals for HOURS!

    That is one magnificent building. Someone (someones really) put a lot of work into it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What stunning photos, especially othe ones of the arches. And the gems are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful building. Looks like a fun place- how did you manage to leave??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, the building competes with the displays! What wonderful detail!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that is some beautiful architecture and I love the colors of those opals!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your shots just took my breath away! I love all those arches and curves. Thank you! And the gems......:)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts