1.8.15

Beading Back in Time Blog Hop Challenge

Today I can't tell you how excited I am to be joining in with the Beading Back in Time Blog Hop Challenge! The theme is Early Civilization (3500 BC to 500 AD) and so I thought I would start by showing you some of my favorite photos from our holiday last week to Paris, I could not go to Paris with out visiting the Louvre of course even if it meant chasing a two year old around and not really getting to read/see as much as I would have liked!


I just love all of these pieces and have a soft spot for seals and amulets....


Stunning every single one!


If I could have taken one thing home it would have been this whole display case, I love how they are all arranged so neatly in there lovely little lines....


I have a little cabinet of curiosities in the hall which my other half and I have filled with little treasures too (nothing as marvellous as these, but little pieces that we love)....


Here are a few of the more interesting pieces....



The little Roman ring has the most charming green glass cab in it and in the right light it just glows!


Here are some of the pieces I planed to play with, lots of djenne dig beads, square and disc roman glass, some viking knit (which I am still very new to) and even an old Roman coin that I set in silver (which I did not get round to using yet).
Any who I have rambled on enough and by this I guess you can tell how much I love the theme so probably time to show you what I came up with.

This first pair were inspired by a beautiful gold byzantine earring that I found on Pintrest.


Photo from The Metropolitan Museum Of Art web site

Gold is not quiet with in my budget so I went with silver.....


Viking knit with lampwork drops (I tried pearls but none of mine were quiet big enough to work with these).


This next pair were a mash up of lots of different types of Roman earrings that I had seen, they are made from copper and silver, the back plate is copper and originally I wanted the copper to shine through a kind of mixed metal modern twist, but I rather liked how crusty and old the copper looked after soldering so left it like that!


I really love how the garnets shine on this pair


And the last pair were a bit of an accident! I had planed to make a pair of earrings with some of my Djenne beads but the unthinkable happened, the bead split straight down the middle! But it was such a pretty bead with such a lovely glow to it that I (ever the optimist) decided to just set the two half's on there sides as a pair of studs....


A couple of hand made bezels and soldered earring posts later and I now have a new favourite pair of earrings!


They are 8mm x 5mm and I can't decided if they look like little gems or little jelly belly beans, but I love them!


I do hope you enjoyed my post (I warn you there may well be more ancient inspired pieces to come) and I really can't wait to see what every one else has created, so please feel free to join me hoping around all the other participants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts