31.3.19

March Theme Challenge Reveal – Luna Moths

This months challenge was brought to us by our ultra talented Jen Cameron and was the adorable Luna Moth!
Normally I'm not a fan of moths or butterflies! Yes, they can be very beautiful but then they do that fluttering thing, and it is hard to predict where they are going to fly which makes me uncomfortable and then they start to dive bomb me at which point I run around the butterfly house trying to escape the dive bombing while my other half is laughing his socks off and the unhelpful assistant is telling me that they are attracted to the minerals in my sweat, as I am running around looking like a crazy person with crazy mad hair at this point because wow the humidity, trying not to to squash them in my blind panic!!!!
So yeah, moths - are not really my thing, but then I googled Luna moths and well they are cute and fluffy looking, not insect like at all and almost magical looking, which got me making!

I wrote a book review on Goldwork, Techniques, Projects and Pure Inspiration by Hazel Everett over on the Art Elements blog....

and this was where my inspiration started, I wanted to sew a goldwork luna moth so having only read this book and no previous experience in goldwork I started to draw out my design (something I never normally do, I'm more of a play and lets see where this goes kinda girl) The more I drew the more complicated my design got and the more ideas I had!


This is still a work in progress, I don't like the moths head, I wanted it the same as the body but I ran out of chippings, so I may well unpick it's head and redo that and add a little silk shading and spangles to the wings then I think a round boarder and this will properly be made into a little cushion or if I can find a nice round frame maybe ill frame it. Either way not too bad for a first attempt!

Goldwork the same as sewing takes quiet a lot of time and I wanted to try something a little quicker for my next project so out came the water colour paints....


Another work in progress imagine a water colour moon, some paint splat stars and maybe a hedge or some flowers in the corner.

My last work in progress (I had a few more but they did not make the cut) is a mixed media piece I wanted to try and make a cute/fluffy luna moth something not at all scary, and then I got lost in my imagination in amongst a teddy bears ball in the middle of an enchanted forest where all the teddy bears were dressed as beautiful moths and butterflies sitting at a long dinning table having a mad hatter style meal with silver and crystal candelabras and table decorations gathered from the forest of beautiful wild flowers and pine cones and then this emerged....


None of it is attached yet but the wings are double sided, the back has a very subtle outline of the wings and the front is ironed angelina fibres cut into shape with goldwork and embroidery holding it in place and on top of this will go my little teddy....


He has a lot more needle felting to go and I need to add in some shading and find something for him to stand on but he is alright for a prototype, I would like to make a bigger one with a mohair teddy I think! Once again too many ideas!!!!
I have had so much fun this month thank you so much Jen and I hope you will all join me on visiting the other blogs....
           

Guests:
Art Elements Team:

17 comments:

  1. The goldwork and watercolor Luna moths are stunning. When you started writing about a teddy bear I thought, "Huh???" But that teddy bear Luna moths is adorable ----definitely not scary! You really did a lot of beautiful work for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am deeply impressed by your goldwork stitching! It is hard to believe that this is your first go! The painted moth is lovely and I simply adore the teddy bear with the wings! Although I also simply love the wings by themself! They would make a gorgeous brooch as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stitching immaculate - (I hate using gold thread) and you tiny bear is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool - I have never heard of goldwork stitching - so that was cool to see. I am in love with your teddy bear and the wings. He is too cute! Love the painting and can't wait to see where it ends up looking like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my!! I came to beading from a stitching background, but I've never done goldwork. Very impressive!!....and I LOVE, LOVE your teddy in particular!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe this was your first attempt at goldwork. You did a splendid job-it's gorgeous. I think the body and head are beautiful as are the wings. Your painting is also lovely and that little teddy bear is just adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I am not the only who reacts to being dive bombed by moths. Your description made me laugh in empathy. The goldwork moth is stunning. That's a technique I had not heard of and you did an amazing job with it. The watercolor is spectacular even if not finished. And oh my goodness the teddy bear with moth wings. So adorable. I can absolutely picture the party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pieces are incredible. That goldwork moth is amazing! That's extremely well done for a first attempt. I thought your luna bear was adorable and very creative too! Thank you for sharing with us your creative journey and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First, I wanted to say that my behavior at the approach of an insect is just the same - I get goose bumps and leave my place at an increasingly fast pace :) And this - with 20 people at a table in the open, only my drink has wasps in it! I'm the chosen one! The goldwork Luna Moth is fascinating, I can imagine the color play of it! I was scared to try watercolor but am getting more and more determined to do so after seeing everybody else's :) The Teddy Bear Luna Moth is heart melting, really!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you always jump in with both feet, no fear, into whatever catches your interest at the time. The goldwork is stunning. I can't believe you've never done it before! I love the watercolor too. I was curious where the story of the fairy bears was going, but omg it is just too cute! The wings and the bear are both so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love the bear! as always you created some amazing pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your goldwork project has amazing colors and a metallic sparkle. I would love to see a close-up of the antennae. They look to be individual stitches? And the teddy is wildly cute! Would that be called a LunaTeddy ....? Alysen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Luna moth Teddy is beyond adorable! Beautiful goldwork all around. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cannot get over how stunning all of these are. Your goldwork looks so soft and elegant, and the stitches are so clean and symmetrical--beautiful job!

    I love your watercolor as well! You've accomplished a beautiful color gradient in your wings, and I can't wait to see your completed piece with the moon and hedges!

    Your enchanting little moth teddy is so precious, and has such lovely details as well. All wonderful interpretations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such gorgeous pieces! I love those mixed media wings for the teddy bear!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning makes Niky, I love goldwork, you must have so much patience to do it, but the result is fantastic. I love that you've mixed it up with the needle felting, it's looking amazing already! Love the watercolour too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What fun to see all of your different interpretations! That first one really catches my attention... will love to see what you end up doing with him.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts